Extreme appreciation or interest in one’s appearance is known as narcissism. NPD shows high self-focus, a sense of greatness, and a strong feeling of pleasure. NPD exists along with entitlement, lack of sympathy, and a need for worship. Unfortunately, narcissistic culture is on the rise in today’s modern world. NPD at extremes reflects shallow values, violent behavior, and a lack of sympathy. We can think of a narcissistic culture as a deep and lonely place full of fear, stress, and depression. It’s because they have an inflated sense of snobbiness and the very best abilities.
NPD affects the everyday life of people. The narcissistic culture shows certain qualities which bring terrible effects on their daily life. I have mentioned them below.
- Extreme self-focus
- Feelings of greatness
- Higher sense of self
- Abusive behavior
- Need for appreciation and a strong feeling of pleasure and wonder
- Lack of sympathy
- Feelings of snobbiness
- Failure to distinguish self from external objects
- Identity interference
- Shallow relationships
- Need for recognition
- Extreme interest in appearance
- Needing extra attention
- A feeling of boredom and emptiness
- Bold and obnoxious behaviors
- Thinking about oneself to be special
- Constant thoughts about fantasies such as success, power, beauty, and love
- These traits bring trouble to themselves and cause a serious threat to others.
Impact of narcissistic culture on society
The narcissistic culture helps increase leadership qualities for narcissists. The rise of leadership is a positive quality for narcissists, but negative for the community. A narcissistic leader can be bad for the community. It is because of the negative aspects of NPD, such as bold obnoxiousness and lack of deep caring. Narcissists can fool others easily and cannot do what needs to be done. It is because they consider themselves very productive. Money problems can easily influence narcissists. As narcissists avoid taking risks thus, they are likely to get dependent on drugs. Narcissists spread negativity in the surrounding conditions of the workplace. It is because they consider themselves superior to others.
They overestimate their performance, as they always expect themselves to do well. Narcissists lack delay of pleasure in flirty conditions. They don’t look for opinions about a situation as they consider themselves right. Narcissists give inappropriate reactions to failure, as it is hard for them to accept. They give severe reactions to setbacks in their lives and cannot bear high pressure. They cannot understand the feelings that give rise to NPD in the community. As they only care about themselves, they bring a huge effect on the community and things near them.
The culture today
We are living in a culture of increasing narcissism. NPD on an individual level can affect the culture. Any culture that supports individual qualities instead of a group helps increase NPD. This is because this narcissistic culture focuses on personal gains and ignores group benefits. Group harmony is in a lack in such cultures. NPD owns certain major features. I have mentioned them below.
Huge narcissistic feelings of pleasure and wonder
- Greater NPD habits
- Interference in cultural values
- They ignore social reasons for doing things
- Lack of harmony
- No group accomplishments
- Misleading and tricking others
- Shallow values
- Increased levels of anger and violent behavior
The narc culture in workplace
Narcissists in workplaces work in dishonest behaviors and negatively influence others. They interfere with the mood and qualities of their sub-rules and make them feel inferior. People with NPD show no appreciation for others and only think of themselves. Narcissists show no kindness and sympathy for their workers. Their higher sense of greatness makes them bold and obnoxious. They constantly look for praise and feelings of wonder from their peers. People with NPD look for recognition for every single action or accomplishment. Narcissists fantasize about being in total power and love to control their workers. They cannot manage criticism at work. People in a narcissistic culture always want special treatment for themselves. All these behaviors at the workplace can cause a list of issues. I have mentioned them below.
- Lack of teamwork
- Team conflicts
- No team effort at all
- Decrease in the productivity of workers
- Lower levels of employee engagement
- Discolored and ruined image of desired work culture
The narc culture on social media
Social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram help increase NPD among people. These platforms focus on sharing decorated personal information. This information includes images and opinions that create a sense of greatness. NPD affects over-sharing, such as taking selfies and posting too often by young people. In a narcissistic culture the higher the amount of social media content posted, the higher the levels of greatness. So increased use of social media adds to a rise in NPD qualities in people.
People with NPD are using social media as a medium to express themselves. They use social media to become happy by satisfying their pride and self-image. People with NPD like to share things that reflect them as masters. They take pride in showing such things to others. Social media cause plenty of issues. I have mentioned them below.
- More frequent selfies
- Higher levels of greatness
- A lot of social media friends
- Constant thoughts about social status
- Career Success
- Bragging off about status related to managing money
Long-term Effects of NPD
Unfair attitudes negatively affect the community on a long-term basis. I have mentioned the effects below.
- Mood disorders in people
- Depression and fear and stress-related problems
- Physical sicknesses
- Body hurts
- Stomach hurts
- Inability to sleep well
- Unable to eat well
- Maintain a healthy way of living
- Suffering from nightmares
- Lowered sense of self-worth
- Lack of self-confidence
- Dishonest behaviors
Measures to control
The effects of NPD on people are permanent and the destruction can not be reversed. It can take a lot of effort and time to reduce the effects of a narcissistic culture in the community. There are different effective ways to control it. I have mentioned them below.
- You need to accept your feelings of love, hate, fear, etc. such as anger, depression, and fear and stress. You need recognition of your feelings and try not to hold them back.
- You need to open yourself to constant criticism to grow.
- You need to educate yourself by learning the traits of NPD in a better way.
- You need to study the situations when you are being controlled.
- You need to join communities and support groups on the internet. In this way, you will learn from the real-life experiences of people. You will understand the situation you are going through.
- You can look for opinions about what they could do about a situation. You can see tips from support groups that can help you tackle the problems.
- You can also talk to a therapist or counselor to manage the unfair narcissistic culture treatment.
- You need to maintain a healthy way of living by taking care of yourself. You need to eat well, sleep well, and work on healthy activities.
- You need to exercise daily to keep yourself fit and positive.
- You need to open yourself to all kinds of reactions and responses to something.
- You need to introduce yourself to the cause of self-love.
- You need to look forward to life.
- You need to identify past events of serious physical or emotional harm and overcome them.
- Getting more in touch with the present self.
Written by: Dr Tahira Rubab Hafeez
Call for appointments at +923114482787